14 December 2006

First Snowy Owl of the season

I pushed back from my microscope to look out of the office window and wish I was elsewhere than in Senneville (as one does) when instead of the usual pigeons and sparrows, a whopping great big white Snowy Owl flew past so close I could almost have touched it if there wasn't glass
between us, albeit it would have had to have been with a fairly long pole.

From the way it dropped then lifted and banked away I am surmising that it had probably been perched on the quite extensive flat roof of the building more or less above my head. Quite some addition to my office window life list. Usually I get just regular birds here with brief appearances by hawks over the Domtar woods and the arbo in migration but this was a real heart
stopper - still got palpitations.

It flew off east in the direction of the MacDonald campus/farm fields if anyone is in the vicinity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home